The Collective

While surfing the vast blogosphere for...well nothing in perticular ... I took a wild shot in the dark with one of my dandy new dashboard widgets that gives me access to all the latest news of the day from CNN and the BBC. Skateboarding goes Legit on London's South Bank is the title of the article I found through the BBC's search engine by typing in ART. (pretty ingenious of me huh?) "Moving Units" is an exhibition by London collective, The Side Effects of Urethane that questions the barriers between the conceptions of skating, art and the city. Keep reading...One of the central organizers behind the show, Richard Holland, describes the group as "a dynamic collective working and living in London, whose sole purpose is to explore and promote the symbiotic relationship between skateboarding and art/photography/design/architecture." Although I thought that on a whole the ideas of the Collective were pretty cool I was less drawn to the significance of the two dimentional work in relation to the theme of exploring and promoting this symbiotic relationship. I was intrigued more by the union of the skater and thier architectural surroundings as entities that inhabit and influence the city scape. I espessally like the "skateable sculpture" by Rich Holland. I really liked Holland's Views on the creative link between Art and Skateboarding. "Skateboarding is creative," says Richard Holland. "Most physical sports are about winning, skateboarding is not. It makes you try harder as it needs a lot of dedication and talent. I think more people need to understand that skateboarding is more than just a physical activity, but a form of creativity that grows from the environment it exists in. Just like any form of creativity. Just like art, each person has a unique style and view on tricks. You could take 50 skaters to the same place to skate, and each one would do something different in their own style." I dig the Zen......This is your intrepid Blogernaut signing out.

Comments:
nice find!
 
nice site
 
Post a Comment

copyright © 2005 some rights reserved